This DIY kit is an amazing way to connect with humanity’s return to the Moon by making some of your very own Lunar dirt that simulates the surfaces of the Moon! This is a great activity to do with your classroom, family, or friends.
How does it work?
With this product, you can explore a unique scientific experience like never before as you create your own Moon dirt in your home. What better way to feel more connected with space than to create your own sample of the moon’s surface?
This STEM kit provides all the individual minerals from the moon, also found on earth, for YOU to combine into lunar regolith! You can pick between simulating the lighter regions of the Moon, called Lunar Highlands or darker regions of the Moon, called Lunar Mare. We suggest both ;)
Why do we recreate the Moon on Earth?
The intention of creating Regolith stemmed from a necessity for research on our expansion into space. When organizations like NASA send rovers, astronauts, and hardware to the Moon, they first have to test their technology in materials that represent the same kind of materials they will interact with when they land on the Moon. This way, the rovers, astronauts, and hardware can be prepared and set up for success in their missions.
Join the mission!
Learning about the geology of the Moon using the materials found on Earth is the first step in the process of expanding into space! With this kit, you will get the opportunity to look at each mineral found on the Moon and combine them to make lunar regolith that organizations like NASA use in crucial research.
Included in Kit:
- 250g of Lunar minerals
- Mixing container
- Display Jar
- Educational Poster
- Exolith Stickers
- N95 Face Mask
General Directions for using this kit:
- Open the kit and pull out all of your materials. You will need each of the items listed below (all included in the kit)
- Open each of the Lunar Mineral packs provided (Anorthosite, Lava Rock, Bronzite, Olivine, and Ilmenite)
- Pour each of the minerals into the mixing container
- Mix the minerals together until your mixture is thoroughly mixed
- If you chose the Lunar Highlands kit, then your mixture should look like the lighter soil regions of the Lunar Surface
- If you chose the Lunar Mare kit, then your mixture should look like the darker soil regions of the Lunar Surface
- Using the funnel provided, pour your Lunar soil into the jar so you can show your friends, family, or classroom your very own Lunar Regolith Simulant
- Send us a picture of your final product to be featured on our social media or monthly newsletter
You get to choose if you want part of the Lunar Highlands or the Lunar Mare!
Lunar Highlands Instructions
Lunar Mare Instructions
Lunar Regolith Information Sheet
If you have any questions or would like to share any results please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ad Astra!